Gift-Giving Guide for Sailors
Are you looking for gift ideas for the sailor in your life? There's almost no end to sailing supplies and accessories, so you're in luck! We've categorized our gifts for sailors based on safety, communication, navigation, the cabin, weather and the dock so you can easily choose what your sailor needs most. Below, you'll find sailing gifts perfect for holidays, birthdays or any day.
Sailing Gifts for Safety
If you know someone who loves to sail, gifting them something that promotes safety is a great way to show you care. Here are some gifts for people who sail to help keep them safe on the water:
- Personal flotation device (PFD): A PFD is a must-have safety item for any sailor. Look for a comfortable and durable PFD that fits well and is designed for the type of sailing your friend or family member does.
- Waterproof VHF radio: Communication is critical when sailing, and a waterproof VHF radio can be a lifesaver if things go wrong. Look for a radio that's easy to use and has a long battery life.
- Emergency Position-Indicating Radio Beacon (EPIRB): An EPIRB is a device that sailors can activate in an emergency to alert search and rescue teams to their location. This gift can provide peace of mind for sailors and their loved ones.
- Safety harness: A safety harness is another essential safety item for sailors. Look for a harness that's comfortable and easy to adjust, and make sure it's compatible with the boat's jack lines.
- First aid kit: A well-stocked first aid kit is key to have in an emergency. Look for a kit designed for marine use that includes items like seasickness medication, waterproof bandages and antiseptic wipes.
- Waterproof flashlight: A waterproof flashlight is a handy item to have on board. Look for a flashlight that's bright, durable and preferably rechargeable.
- Sail repair kit: A sail repair kit can help sailors fix small tears or holes in their sails before they become bigger problems. Look for a kit that includes sail tape, a needle and thread.
Sailing Gifts for Communication
Communication is essential when sailing, whether it's between crew members or with other boats and the shore. Here are some presents for sailors that make communication easy:
- Handheld VHF radio: A handheld VHF radio is a must-have communication tool for sailors. It allows the crew to easily communicate with each other and with other boats on the water. Look for a radio that is waterproof, is easy to use and has a long battery life.
- Satellite phone: A satellite phone is another communication option for sailors when they're out of cell tower range. It can be helpful in an emergency and also allows sailors to stay in touch with loved ones on land.
- Two-way radios: Two-way radios are a reliable option for communication on board. They're especially useful for larger boats where it may be difficult to hear someone calling from the other end of the vessel.
- Marine Wi-Fi extender: A marine Wi-Fi extender can help sailors stay connected to the internet while on the water. A Wi-Fi extender allows sailors to check weather reports, communicate with others on shore and even stream music or television for entertainment during downtime.
- Signal flares: Signal flares are a critical tool for communicating distress signals to other boats or to search and rescue teams. Look for flares designed for marine use that are easy to use in an emergency.
- Signal mirror: A signal mirror can help sailors communicate with other boats or aircraft in an emergency. Sailors can also use them to signal for help if the boat gets stranded.
- Marine antenna: A marine antenna can help improve the range and clarity of VHF radio communications. Look for an antenna that's compatible with the boat's radio and easy to install.
Sailing Gifts for Navigation
Navigation is a crucial skill for sailors, and having the right tools and equipment can make a big difference. Here are some gift ideas for sailors to help them navigate the water:
- GPS chart plotter: A GPS chart plotter is a powerful navigation tool that can display the boat's position, speed and course on a chart. It can also provide information on tides, currents and other important navigational data. Look for a chart plotter that's easy to use with a large, clear display.
- Handheld GPS: A handheld GPS is a portable option for navigation. Sailors can use it to mark waypoints, track the boat's position and provide basic navigational data. Look for a waterproof GPS with a long battery life.
- Nautical charts: Nautical charts are essential for safe navigation. Look for charts that cover the area where your friend or family member sails, and consider getting a waterproof chart case.
- Binoculars: Binoculars can help sailors see further and more clearly when navigating. Look for waterproof binoculars with a magnification of at least 7x.
- Sextant: A sextant is a traditional navigation tool sailors use to determine their position with the stars. It requires some skill to use but can be a fun way to navigate. Look for a sextant that's easy to read and comes with a good instruction manual.
- Navigation lights: Navigation lights are required by law for boats that operate at night. Look for lights that are bright, durable and easy to install.
- Compasses: Compasses are a vital tool for any sailor. There are many types of compasses available — handheld ones sailors can mount on their boat's steering wheel, larger models they can mount on the deck and use as a GPS alternative, and even digital compasses that use GPS technology to pinpoint their location. Handheld compasses are great for beginners because they're small enough for sailors to carry around wherever they go. Larger models may be more worthwhile if accuracy is important.
- Automatic Identification System (AIS) transponder: An AIS transponder is an electronic device sailors use to communicate information about the vessel's identity, location and course to other vessels and shore-based stations. AIS transponders are required by law for many commercial vessels and are also becoming increasingly popular among recreational boaters.
Sailing Gifts for the Cabin
Sailing can be a lot of fun, but it's not all about being on deck. When sailors retreat below deck to relax, rest or have a meal, the right gear can help them stay comfortable and entertained. Here are some gift ideas for sailors to use inside the cabin:
- Waterproof Bluetooth speaker: Waterproof Bluetooth speakers are designed to withstand exposure to water and the elements, making them a great gift idea for sailors who like to listen to music while at the dock or in the cabin. Sailors can use them to play music from a smartphone or other device.
- E-reader: An e-reader is a great way for sailors to keep up with their reading while on board. Look for an e-reader that's waterproof and can hold plenty of books for those long voyages at sea.
- Board games: Board games are a fun way for sailors to pass the time on lengthy sailing trips. Look for games that are easy to store and play in a small space, like cards, chess or backgammon.
- Hammock: A hammock is a comfortable and relaxing way to spend time below deck. Look for a hammock that's easy to set up and take down and made from durable materials.
- Compact cookware: Compact cookware is a great gift for sailors who love to cook on board. Look for pots and pans that are lightweight, stackable and have removable handles for easy storage.
- Stainless steel drinkware: A sailboat's constant movement means drinkware can easily fall and break. Stainless steel tumblers, coffee mugs and wine glasses are durable enough to withstand life on a boat without breaking.
- LED lighting: LED lighting is energy-efficient and bright, making it a great option for illuminating areas below the deck. Look for LED lights that are easy to install and dimmable so sailors can control the ambiance.
- Cabin heater: A cabin heater can make living quarters more comfortable in cold weather. Look for a heater that's safe to use in a marine environment and has a low power draw.
Sailing Gifts for the Weather
Sailing can be challenging when the weather turns bad. Here are some gift ideas for sailors that will help protect them from the weather:
- Sailing jacket: Sailing jackets are designed specifically for sailors and boaters. They're made from waterproof, windproof and breathable materials to protect sailors from the elements while out on the water. Sailing jackets come in various styles and often feature a high collar, hood and adjustable cuffs to keep the wind and rain out. Some also have features such as reinforced panels in high-wear areas, reflective detailing for visibility and pockets for storing essentials.
- Foul weather gear: Foul weather gear is designed to keep sailors dry and comfortable in heavy rain and wind. Look for gear that is waterproof, windproof and breathable.
- Sailing gloves: Sailing gloves are made from durable materials like leather or neoprene to protect sailors' hands while handling ropes, lines and other equipment on a boat. Some sailing gloves feature a fingerless design to allow for greater dexterity and sensitivity when handling equipment, while others have a full-finger design for added warmth and protection in colder weather.
- Waterproof boots: Waterproof boots are essential for keeping feet dry and warm in wet weather. Look for waterproof boots that have good traction and are comfortable to wear for long periods.
- Sun protection: Sun protection is important for sailors who spend a lot of time on deck. Look for waterproof sunscreen with a high SPF, and consider gifting a hat or sunglasses to protect the face and eyes.
- Dry bags: Dry bags are perfect for storing electronics and important paperwork that sailors need to keep dry. Dry bags are available in an assortment of sizes — consider gifting your sailor one of each!
- Insulated mug: An insulated mug is a great way for sailors to enjoy hot drinks on cold days and cold drinks on hot days. Look for a mug that's leak-proof, easy to clean and able to keep drinks hot or cold for several hours.
- Hand warmers: Hand warmers are a great way to keep hands warm in cold weather. Look for hand warmers that are easy to activate, last for several hours and are safe to use in a marine environment.
Sailing Gifts for the Dock
While most of the sailing fun happens on the water, sailors need a dock when they're ready for land. Help them accessorize their dock space with the following gift ideas for sailing docks:
- Dock lines: Dock lines are essential for securing a boat at the dock and make great gifts for sailors. Look for high-quality, durable lines designed to withstand the wear and tear of regular use.
- Personalized dock sign: A personalized dock sign can be a thoughtful and unique gift for a sailor. Look for a sign that sailors can customize with their name or their boat's name and that is made from durable materials that can withstand exposure to the elements.
- Dock box: Dock box is a storage container designed for marine use and typically made of waterproof and UV-resistant materials. Sailors can mount dock boxes on the dock to store things without leaving them unattended or on the boat to hold extra supplies so they don't have to go without anything.
- Waterproof phone case: A waterproof phone case is a practical gift for sailors who want to keep their phone protected while at the dock or out on the water. Look for a case designed to fit the sailor's specific phone model and rated for waterproof protection.
- Boat fenders: Boat fenders are another essential item for sailors to use at the dock. They protect the boat from damage caused by contact with the dock or other boats. Look for fenders made from high-quality materials and designed to provide adequate protection for the size of the sailor's boat.
- Cleaning supplies: Another great gift idea is to create a boat cleaning supply kit. Sailors often clean their boats at the dock, so stock a bucket full of all-purpose sponges, a deck brush, boat cleaning soap and water stain remover to make boat-washing time a breeze.
Find Gifts for Sailors at Fawcett Boat Supplies
Since 1948, Fawcett Boat Supplies has been providing boaters of all kinds with everything they need to have success on the water. We're passionate about boating, so we know how exciting it can be to receive the perfect sailing gift. Shop with us and choose from a large selection of high-quality boating products, supplies and accessories.
Need help deciding on a gift? Our knowledgeable and friendly staff is always available to make suggestions and point you in the right direction. Contact Fawcett Boat Supplies today!